When Hiring a Professional Mover, Understand your Rights and Responsibilities
Whether it’s a local or interstate move, as a client it’s important that you are aware of your rights and responsibilities when hiring a moving company. Fortunately, we at Sprinter Van Lines have our client’s best interest in mind. As our client, we want you to have access to all the information you need to ensure a successful and hassle-free relocation.
We want to make sure that our customers fully understand everything that should be provided to them by their hired licensed moving company as well as their responsibilities when hiring a mover.
Where can you get this information?
You can download the guide here: Your Rights and Responsibilities as a Client
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) is the government agency that provides a set of standards and consumer protection regulations that are designed to protect the rights of clients during a move. They are also the one who oversees the entire moving industry in the country.
According to the FMCSA, any hired moving company should provide their clients with the following documents:
- A written estimate of your move.
- A Moving Checklist
- A moving checklist provides a detailed list of the things that customers need to prepare: before their move, during the actual move and the delivery day. Having this document with you will surely simplify your moving preparations. That’s why it’s important to have this printed out. Make a copy for yourself and your move counselor.
- A detailed information regarding the mover’s arbitration program.
- A written notice regarding access to the moving company’s tariff.
- A document that explains how the moving company will handle claims in case of loss or damage.
- A link or a document to FMCSA’s “Your Rights and Responsibilities as a Client” brochure or booklet.
Those are just some of the documents that our customers should have before their move. On the other hand, customers also have a set of duties and responsibilities when hiring a moving company. These are the following:
- Reading and understanding each and every document that’s related to their move. As mentioned previously, those documents should be provided by their mover.
- Ensure their availability during the proposed pickup schedule and delivery of their items, or at least have a representative who will be there in their place. Clients should also notify their moving company ASAP regarding any kind changes in their schedule, items to be shipped, additional drop off point, etc.
- Paying the agreed amount and in the form agreed upon with their moving company.
- Filing claims in case of loss, damage or delays, if necessary.
Plan your big move with Sprinter Van Lines
If you choose to work with us, our experienced and friendly move counselors will help you in the entire moving process. We will be with you during the planning and preparation stage and we will make sure that everything is good to go on the actual day of your move. Don’t hesitate to ask any questions that you may have. Remember that maintaining good communication is the key to every successful move.